Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Bloody Toes

This week could not be more different that last, which is a good thing. I almost feel like a decent teacher again, now that last week's issues seem to be cleared up. The weather has been incredibly gorgeous, which helps too. The leaves are going to be in full transformation soon, and we'll have an amazing 360 degree view of it all.

One of the most amusing aspects of this new lifestyle is being in close proximity to the species known as teenage boys. I am surprised to be confused and anxious by their presence: must they spit as they walk near me? Is it necessary to swear continuously in order to be liked by their peers? Can a young man appear "gangster" enough if he wears his pants under his butt if he's also wearing a Vineyard Vines tie and belt? I am learning so much, and have so much left to learn...

Thankfully, I find repose in the time I spend running around our campus with my JV girls Cross Country team. I usually hate when a teacher calls a group of students "theirs," but I am just loving the fact that I am coaching girls to run. I do all the running with them, and I've never enjoyed running so much. I was psyched today when I took off my shoes and found that I had a bloody toe - just like a real runner!

I think I'll sign off with someone else's brilliance. In this case, it's my brother-in-law Mike's brilliance, and it made my day:

No comments: