Saturday, July 28, 2007

Slow, delicious food

Yesterday Paul and I went to the farmers' market at Copley and spent $30 on salad greens, zucchini, yellow squash, basil, heirloom tomatos, goat cheese, bread, and blueberries. Paul had finished Kingsolver's book and wanted to make a meal from stuff we could buy from local farms. I am so damn lucky.

We started off with a field green salad with goat cheese croutons (slices of baguette bread topped with melted goat cheese) and dressed in balsalmic vinegar.

Then we had a "tomato course:" sliced salted heirloom tomatoes (red, yellow, and green zebra) topped with basil over the leftover balsamic dressing from our salad. I cannot believe that at one point in my life I didn't like tomatoes. Holy wonderful.

Finally, Paul had sauteed the zucchini and squash with mushrooms we had in the fridge. He diced the rest of the tomatoes and threw them into the cooked ziti. At the table, we took a scoop of the sauteed vegetables and a scoop of the ziti-tomato mix and combined them in our bowl, added a little parmesan, and ate until we couldn't eat any more.

It was a meal as good as any we had in France. It was really an incredible thing to know that most of what we were eating had come off of a farm within the past day or so, and it traveled in a little truck for about an hour or so to get to the market, and then it was giving us this really memorable experience as our meal. The food had never spent time sitting in a bin at a supermarket. The $30 we spent went straight to the farmers.

Right now Paul is making me banana-blueberry pancakes. I hope he's never tempted to use his culinary powers for evil, because he could destroy the world.

No comments: