Sunday, April 5, 2009

The thing inside of me

Although my due date is less than a month away, I have to keep telling myself that the window of potential birthdays can be between two to six weeks away. We're set up now for baby - there's no shortage of washed and folded clothes, teeny-tiny diapers, places for baby to sleep, or even books for baby to enjoy...though that might be awhile. I'm still trying to get work settled so that I can rest easy without stressing out about classes or students, but I'm close. And I'm guessing I'll stress out anyway.

The craziest thing about the ninth month, however, isn't so much the preparation. It's the life inside of me that is constantly asserting its presence and fighting for space in my belly. Baby Dolan is extremely active, and the kicks and movements take my breath away while I'm standing in front of my class or force me to sit up straighter when it feels like a foot is knocking my ribs. It must be one of life's strangest experiences.

I'm sure many mothers miss the time they have to carry their child, but I'm not sure that's how I'll feel. With so much going on in there, I feel like I'm just so curious to know who this little bugger is. I know where baby's body parts are and what times of day baby likes to beat up on my from the inside, and it just makes me want to know what baby's name is, if baby will like to sleep for any sustained period of time, which blanket baby will come to prefer, or if baby will enjoy beating up on Duffy, too.

I suspect that having baby in my arms will overpower any sense of loss that I might experience from missing the action in my belly. But how strange it has been to harbor a growing body for so long and to know that that body will be ready for the world soon.

1 comment:

Susie said...

Yes, Baby Dolan will soon be ready for the world. And you sound like you are very ready to welcome Baby Dolan into your family. Now relax as much as you can for the last few weeks because the pace is going to pick up when Baby Dolan exits from the womb! Love you all, Mom.