Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Second Tri

It is impossible to write about anything when trying to keep a secret. Besides work, the only thing that ever seems to be on my mind is the crazy little person growing inside of me. So writing about anything else seemed to be out of the question during the first three months.

Now we're entering undiscovered country: the second trimester. The word is finally out at work, which means that I can glow properly in public, I guess. Things I'm looking forward to: getting some of my energy back, looking pregnant instead of dumpy, and my husband actually realizing what this whole pregnancy thing is all about (i.e. ice cream, foot massages, special gifts for the woman carrying his heir).

I've been told that time is supposed to start flying. In one sense, I am counting the days to my next doctor appointment while daydreaming about meeting the first little one of our family. Time cannot pass fast enough between now and April 30. But I keep finding moments to remind Paul that our days are numbered: some day soon we'll remember falling asleep peacefully like old fogeys at 9:30, and it won't be long before I'll be obsessively vacuuming Duffy's hair off the carpet six times a day. There must be a fine balance between the excited anticipation and the anticipation.

Yesterday I managed the last the whole day without a nap. Then I went up to bed at 8:30. After nearly 11 hours of sleep, I took a two-hour nap today. If the second trimester doesn't bring some relief from the exhaustion, I'm going to be the crankiest squash coach ever this winter.

No comments: