Saturday, June 28, 2008

En Girona

Life is wonderful in Girona.

It´s a smaller city. We´re staying in an incredible old house in the old part of the city, right next to the Cathedral. Tonight is our second night here, and we leave tomorrow. So far, we´ve toured the cathedral (the site of which used to be a Roman political forum and a muslim temple), the Arab Baths, the original city walls, the Christian and Jewish sections of the old town, and all of the gelato shops. Tonight we had the most wonderful meal while sitting on the steps in front of a monastery.

It gets SO hot here during the afternoon hours. I´ve decided I just can´t handle it. The siesta is just the way to go.

I have so enjoyed speaking Spanish again. It´s difficult here because everything is in Catalan, which is truly a very different language than Castillian Spanish, but everyone will speak Castellano with me, which is better than in Barcelona, where everyone takes over in English.

The highlight of our stay in Girona must have been this evening´s sighting of the Slipstream team sitting outside with their families. Paul has been on the lookout for cyclists ever since we got here (many of the American cyclists live here, and others stay here when travelling). I was willing to stalk them, but Paul was a bit more modest. It was so cool. We saw George Hincapie up close!

Back to Barcelona tomorrow. So much more to write, but so few minutes left on the timer.

No comments: