Friday, August 24, 2007

Tear Ducts

I have a blocked-up tear duct. It's all red and painful.

That's how hard it is to leave Boston. I know we're starting great jobs, and everyone tells me how much we're going to love it. I know we will love it. I know that we can always come back and that it's a good opportunity and yada yada yada.

I also know that I really don't want to leave. I don't want to leave my school. In fact, I don't want to leave so much that I've been there every week helping out with this or that even though I get the whole summer off. I know that I don't want to be far from the Charles River, or from the Elephant Walk, or Fenway Park, or from my women-only gym.

Nonetheless, there are some clear positives to focus on. I love our new apartment, even if it is in a dorm (and wow, does it feel like a dorm!). It feels palatial compared to the hovel we were living in. It's sunny, and roomy, and everything fits really well. When you look out the window, you see unbelieveable amounts of green lawn. Sometimes you see some of the five children that live below us - thay have acres of safe land to play on, and numbers of watchful eyes that don't have to be supervising their every move.

I guess I'm just afraid that we're going to be stuck in some weird boarding school vacuum, a vortex of responsibility that cuts us off from the rest of the world. Will we be so busy that keeping up with friends and family will seem harder than it already is? Will we EVER get time to ourselves?

Yikes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could feel the tug of what you wrote on my heart. Mothers' hearts readily absorb. I'm sure you will love everything about this challenging new experience - you and Paul have SO much to offer Canterbury! And, yes you can return to your beloved Boston one day... or Rochester...hehehehe. Love you two!